Home ยป Kirinyaga Burial Ceremony Turns Tragic As 100 Fall Sick From Food Poisoning
Editor's Picks

Kirinyaga Burial Ceremony Turns Tragic As 100 Fall Sick From Food Poisoning

A suspected food poisoning outbreak left at least 100 people sick after they consumed catered food at a burial ceremony attended by about 600 people in Inoi Ward, Kirinyaga Central Sub-County.

The incident occurred on Friday, August 14, 2026, at the homestead of David Nyagah, where the mourners consumed the food during the burial ceremony.

As of August 17, 14 people, including two children under five years, were still admitted at ACK Mt. Kenya Hospital. 68 patients have been treated and discharged with no deaths reported.Investigators established that the cooked food had been held for five to six hours before it was served.

The food was also exposed to direct sunlight for long periods, raising concerns over temperature control.

The team also inspected the water bottling plant and found that its hygiene practices were below the required standards.

โ€œA compliance notice was issued following the inspection,โ€ the investigators said.

The public health office said all the affected people were referred for medical assessment and treatment. Food handlers were also sensitised on hygiene and hand-washing.

Food and clinical samples were collected for laboratory analysis as authorities continue with investigations into the suspected outbreak.

Continued surveillance is also underway to identify any additional cases.

In a response after the report was released, Kirinyaga Central MP Gachoki Gitari urged residents to be extra careful when handling and consuming food at public gatherings.

โ€œWe urge our people to be very careful. Let us ensure food is handled hygienically, cooked well and served on time to avoid such incidents,โ€ Gitari told Citizen TV, calling for strict observance of food safety standards by caterers, butcheries and water vendors.

Kirinyaga Burial Ceremony Turns Tragic As 100 Fall Sick From Food Poisoning