Home ยป Anti graft agency chains top treasury bosses over massive fraud
Editor's Picks

Anti graft agency chains top treasury bosses over massive fraud

The Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) has arrested nine suspects over the alleged loss of Ksh1.57 billion from a National Treasury programme, with those arrested including PROFiT Programme Coordinator John Ngure Kabutha, National Treasury officials Namwel Moturi Motanya and John Maina Muriithi, and business owners Gladys Juliet Oroni, Brian Kiprop Chepkarat, Ian Kwenwei Chepkarat, Josephat Kamau Kamoshe, James Omwodo Ndai and Jimmy Carter Odoyo Osodo.

The suspects are accused of being linked to the alleged fraudulent disbursement of funds under the Rural Outreach of Financial Innovations and Technologies (PROFiT) Programme.

According to EACC, the funds were taken from the National Treasury Development Account and allegedly channelled to 23 private entities using 15 business names and eight companies.

The money was meant to support small-scale farmers by improving their access to affordable financing.

The programme was implemented between the 2013/2014 and 2023/2024 financial years with funding from the International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD). However, investigations by the anti-graft agency found that goods and services listed against some of the payments were allegedly never supplied or delivered.

EACC says its investigations also uncovered the use of false and forged documents to account for the funds. Investigators further established that an unauthorised KCB bank account had been opened in the name of the PROFiT Programme.

Through the account, about Ksh175 million was allegedly received, moved and misappropriated, with a substantial amount withdrawn in cash.

The investigation also pointed to financial links between some programme officials and private entities that allegedly received the funds.

EACC said these links raised concerns over compliance with public financial management and accountability requirements.

Following the conclusion of investigations, EACC forwarded the inquiry file to the Director of Public Prosecutions, who approved the prosecution of 20 public officials, companies and company directors.

The suspects face charges including unlawful acquisition of public property, abuse of office, money laundering, acquisition of proceeds of crime and uttering false documents.

The nine arrested suspects are expected to appear before the Milimani Law Courts on Wednesday, August 19, 2026, where the allegations against them will be formally presented.

EACC has also directed 11 other people to immediately present themselves at its Integrity Centre in Nairobi or the nearest EACC office for processing.

They include PROFiT Programme Accountant Billy Otieno Obango, business owners Auma Ritah Otieno, Paul Mukisiali Shilaho, Susan Wangari Gathiaka and Erick Otieno Achila, as well as Miriam Roseline Obinda, Fredrick Nyadhe Obindah and Brown Mujeny Agade of Laudrups Kenya Ltd.

Others are Hilda Ndinda Ngava, Charles Cheruiyot and Jackline Kagai Saisi, who are directors of different companies named in the investigation.

The case now places scrutiny on how public funds intended to support farmers were managed and disbursed.

Beyond the criminal proceedings, EACC said it will pursue the recovery and forfeiture of public funds and assets found to have been acquired through corrupt conduct or other unlawful means.

The commission said the action is part of efforts to protect public resources and hold accountable those found responsible for their loss or misuse.